Tuesday 10 August 2010

Nós Somos Família...

Went to a family wedding this weekend just gone. In Coventry.

Well, just outside Coventry in fact. However, an argument with Mrs Ox in the car on the way up and the silence we gave each other for part of the journey certainly brought the phrase "Being sent to Coventry" to life in a quite literal as well as the traditionally more figurative manner.

Coventry: Best enjoyed in silence.
It was a fantastic event, the wedding. For the most part because I got to catch up with my extended family for the first time in ruddy years.

Getting to know Mrs Ox's family and how close they are to each other, has only highlighted for me how little effort I've put in over the past decade in keeping in touch with mine.

Aunties & Uncles I hadn't seen in years, Cousins I hadn't even considered were now adults (a bit of a silly thing not to consider, considering they are around the same age as me) and indeed, in some cases with their own children. Fully grown, adult children, that is.

And by the term 'Adult Children' I don't mean some scary genetic disaster of a giant-like, inflated child with  elephantiasis, I mean it's my cousin's children, but they are now practically adults. Obviously.

I also found out via one of my Uncle's research that there is some Portuguese blood in my ancestry. This may explain my short-fused temperament and love of port, but I can't therefore understand why the very thought of Salted Cod has me retching air. Other than it tastes shit, of course.

Salted Cod: Retch-Inducing.
Nonetheless, I'm rather excited at my new-found exotic roots, and the next time I see Ronaldo playing I won't instantly dismiss him as a greasy-haired diving fairy, but a fellow countryman. Albeit a fairy-like greasy-haired diving one.

The flag of my Fathers' Mothers' Fathers' Fathers' Father. Maybe.
I also quite like the funny little ç & õ characters that they pepper about so ubiquitously in Portuguese. I might start calling myself Senhor Fantastiço Õx or something. If that works. It probably doesn't.
Nice thunderstix, Mum.

My main point today though, kids, is that family is important.

Which is why I am determined to try and organise a Family Ox get-together at least once every year to catch up and maybe even celebrate our general Portuguesishness.

Salt-Cod all round. Bleeuurgh.

6 comments:

  1. FantasticMrsOx2:50 pm

    When you die, will you be buried in an 'al-grave'?

    ReplyDelete