Thursday 19 May 2011

Ennui To Apathy

I know it's a couple of weeks ago now, but I can't help still being disappointed with the result of the AV Referendum. I expected the NO vote to win after hearing expert opinions and polls telling me where things were heading. But I really didn't expect it to be so one-sided.
67.9% NO to 32.1% YES.

I didn't realise the twitching curtains of fearful-of-change Middle-Britain were still in the ascendancy these days. I thought we lived in a more progressive nation than that.

You know, a tolerant, thoughtful society that treats change not as a piss-stained vagrant to be passed quickly on the roadside; but as a welcome traveller, greeted into our homes as if a friend and treated not with an expectation that he will have an axe and a severed head in his rucksack, but with the hope that he will in time become a trusted confidant.

What annoys me most about the 68% that voted NO is that I'd wager most of them did it for the wrong reasons. I wouldn't be so disappointed if the majority of NO voters had looked properly at the reform on offer and thought "Hmm, yes there are many problems with how things are, but I'd rather stick with it over this other thing which just isn't my cup of tea."

What actually happened was, they were either bamboozled by the bullshit that came out of the NO2AV campaign, or they saw something a bit different they didn't understand straight away, couldn't be bothered to have it explained to them and went "Oh, no, no, no, no, no. Not today thank you!" As if the idea of voting reform was an annoying charity mugger ruining your lunch break in the high street.

But what is even worse than that is those that didn't think it even worth their time voting.

This is why Britain is broken. It's not the chavs on the slum estates, the binge-drinking, the breakdown of multiculturalism, the benefits culture, or even those twitching curtains. It's the apathy.

It's an unwillingness of people to engage with things. The close-mindedness of  "what we have got will do" or "what difference can I make?" and a lack of desire to press for something better. That's what's wrong with Britain today.

That and TOO MANY FUCKING ASYLUM SEEKERS CLOGGING UP OUR ROADS WITH THEIR BENEFIT CLAIMS... oh, sorry. It must be catching.

To be honest, I'm getting a little apathetic about complaining about the apathetic myself, thanks to the pervading sense of apathy everywhere, seeping into my very being. You can almost see the conglomerated lassitude caused by association pouring out of my ears.

One thing that did cheer me up though was that although only 10 voting areas out of 440 in the whole country voted YES - 2 of them were my current home the London Borough of Camden, and my beloved City of Oxford. God bless you, progressive Camdonites and Oxonians.

As a final thought on the matter before returning to more frivolous stuff again, Those NO2AVers must actually be livid at the result though. This is exactly the sort of situation they were worried about in the first place - the second best option winning.

Haha I did a joke.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:48 pm

    I could just be a shit load of folks really didn't want it. How do you like them onions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find they leave a little sour taste in the mouth.

    A shit load of people didn't want it, clearly. They voted as such.

    But a shit load more didn't vote at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Giants Flag is constructed of polyester, measures 3x5 feet, and has two metal grommets for attaching to a traditional flagpole, tailgate pole, or our 6' aluminum flagpole. The perimeter of our Giants Flag is double stitched and the Officially Licensed NFL New York Giants team logos are dye sublimated into the flag so they won't peel. Due to its large size, this flag is also perfect to hang in your game room, sports room, office, or kids room.


    nfl house flags
    nfl flags wholesalecheap Philadelphia Eagles banners
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers house divided flags, House Divided Flags,Sports Flags 3x5, Sports flags and banners,nfl House Divided Flags

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diverso dal quarta stella di fortuna applicati alle Galatasaray 15-16 maglie, il nuovo kit di casa Nike Galatasaray 16-17 è dotato di quattro stelle che siano allineati correttamente sopra la cresta del clubmaglie calcio poco prezzo,
    maglie da calcio a poco prezzo,
    magliette da calcio poco prezzo, Maglia Barcelona prezzo

    ReplyDelete