Wednesday 9 December 2009

On the Blog

Yesterday, Mjohnson gave me some more advice on blogging.

The man is a blogging guru and it will pay to heed his (albeit contradictory) advice.

He gave me a choice of Four styles I should go for in honing my blog-foetus:

1.Popularity.
Mjohnson writes: "go for a niche, one idea/joke blog. You can do it on a subject you're interested in such as Oxford F.C. you boring sod. This means you can quickly get a readership, but it constrains what you can write about and in the case of a joke, it will eventually wear thin."

FMO Retorts: Hmm, yes good idea. I am concerned with your caveat that it will indeed limit what I can write. Plus, the only things I know well enough to write about regularly are the Third Reich and Oxford United; one of which is a depressing, ghastly subject that will offend some readers' sensibilities and the other of which is the Third Reich. (Ho Ho Ho, I bet you didn't see that one coming!).

Having a separate blog for OUFC means I can free my options all round whilst not putting off people like Mjohnson who don't want to read about shit football.

2. Diary.
Mjohnson writes: "You can write down your innermost thoughts for the Internet to review. These people are losers. I use my own life only for inspiration and I'm quite happy to lie if it makes the story more interesting ."

FMO Retorts: Well I'm no loser. No sir-ee. No losers here!
That said, I did initially start this with the intent of it being an open journal of thoughts. Yet I wasn't going to make it about inner-most thoughts as this might get me into trouble with the Austrian authorities should I ever want to visit.
Like the idea of using own life as inspiration for ramblings - kind of like a Michael McIntyre/Peter Kay style observational. Can't wait for the post about Garlic Bread, Mjohnson!


3. Art Form.
Mjohnson writes: "hardly ever post, write and then re-write every post until it is perfect. There are many well written, well thought out posts that are brilliant. You'll need to decide if you really care."

FMO Retorts: Nah.

So, my conclusions were to:
a.) Start a separate blog about Oxford United.
b.) Use events in my life as a starting point for random musings. Try not to make it anything like a Peter Kay routine.
c.) Not worry about it being perfect and well writtan.
d.) Probably ignore Mjohnson's advice completely and do none of the above.

Let this be an end to Blog-chat.


It will start to get interesting now, I promise.

7 comments:

  1. That toilet design and it's suroundings are depressing. I hope it is not yours, but Mjohnson's toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like the free-standing bog roll holder.

    You could wield it as a weapon should someone enter the room and disturb you during a motion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Ox, are you suggesting that room is so built that someone could 'enter the room' any time they wanted, while you are having a 'motion'? Oh, I was SO right in evaluating the entire setting as depressing. Very depressing, I might correct myself.

    Btw, is Mjohnson using that toilet too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you know Mjohnson as well as I you will appreciate that just as no room will hold him, nor will any locked door preclude his eventual entry should he so wish it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I don't know Mr Mjohnson as well as you do. Well, I read his blog occasionally, still, taking into consideration what he advised you in "2. Diary" (that's writing lies in a blog just to appear interesting), I guess I don't know him at all, or, still worse, I might only know a pile of lies about him. Anyway, I know one fact about him for sure; he has nice breats:
    http://data5.blog.de/media/361/3350361_31d3381ca4_m.jpeg

    ReplyDelete