Thursday 10 December 2009

Where's my F*^$ing Pay Rise?

Had a chat with my boss yesterday about my performance this year, my 'personal review'.

These annual reviews are such a load of old cock though, aren't they? Most people (me included) are only really interested in the review to know what pay rise or bonus they might be getting, yet you have to go through the rigmarole of going through a checklist along these lines:

"How would you rate your performance this year in terms of communication on a scale of 1-4, 1 being excellence, 4 being poor?"

I mean really. I couldn't communicate enough how fucking annoying this form of 'review' was to me. So I put '4' down.

"How would you rate your performance this year in terms of coaching and training of staff around you?"

Well I don't actually have anyone to coach or train, it's a 3 man office. So I put '1' on the basis I'd achieved all that was put in front of me in this regard. In his counter, my manager put '4'. I took great exception to this!

FMO "How can you put 4? How can you rate my coaching & training as poor when you haven't had chance to see it put into action? That now looks as though I tried to train someone and ended up trying to molest them or something. Strike that from the record please!"

Manager "Well I've already put it down now and submitted to head office - So I've just put a note next to it to say you never did any training."

FMO "But that might look like I refused to or wasn't trusted with doing any training! You need to make that clear."

Manager "Oh don't worry, all of this conversation will be in my report."

Hmmm.

"How would you rate your performance this year in terms of team work & personal interaction with your colleagues on a scale of 1-4, 1 being excellence, 4 being poor?"

My Manager didn't tick a number for this one. He just wrote something down he wouldn't show me. Not a very good example of team work and personal interaction on his part, I noted to him.

He didn't have a response to that, but instead just wrote something else. Probably a recommendation to improve the review process next year, I'd imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment