Tuesday 8 December 2009

Waiting for Blogot


It's all very exciting and new at the moment, this blogging business. It always seemed a little beyond me, the art of blogging. Yet three posts down and all of a sudden, I'm a blogger, I blog, I partake in mindless bloggery.

But what do I do with it?

Yesterday I asked experienced blogger Mjohnson for advice on where I should take my blog. His sage counsel was "the best advice I can give you is work out why you are doing it then you will know what style you should go for."

That wasn't very bloody helpful, I thought. I have no idea why I'm doing it and I can't be expected to come up with something on my own, I'm new to this blogging business, you know.

But then I thought again, as I noticed that he'd actually said more a bit later on in the email: "The best advice is to just get going. You'll know after a little while whether you enjoy doing it or not.."

Ahh, very interesting I now thought - So I should just get going, excellent.

But hang on... which is the best advice then, Mjohnson? 'just get going' or 'work out why you are doing it first'?

You've just contradicted your earlier best advice with some new best advice! In the same email! So I thus retracted the re-thought, as actually that was just fucking useless advice. Clearly this particular blogging dinosaur was doing all he could to scupper my blog in it's foetal phase. What a fucker!

But with yet more hindsight I realised I had done Mjohnson a disservice and was perhaps missing the point he was making; namely that anyone can do a blog and it doesn't matter how or why you do it, or how shit it is, or even whether people like it or not. Actually I don't think that was the point he was making. But I liked it anyway.

And lo, I realised that thanks to Mjohnson's words I had found the reason why I was doing it after all!

Then I also realised I'd already decided why I was doing it two days ago. So really this whole escapade, including this post, was a total of a waste of every body's time. I have achieved nothing writing it and you have achieved even less reading it. Sorry about that.

So what is this blog all about then?

Well, Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes...it's awful.

5 comments:

  1. You’ve just committed the cardinal sin Ox’y. Blogging about blogging. Schoolboy error. It’s not like you can’t do it, but it’s like breaking the fourth wall in a play. It should be done sparingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Apparently there are a great many blogs that write solely about blogging.

    http://www.dailyblogtips.com/top-25-blogs-about-blogging/

    My advice remains resolutly contradictory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mjohnson is of a very confusing - if not a bad - influence. Keep away from him! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:33 pm

    Well I agree but I about the collection should secure more info then it has.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:47 pm

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete